Friday, 3 June 2016

Lit Fam


I'm going to be completely honest and say that I am really proud of this post title, and I've been saving it for a while. I know, I should be ashamed. But hey, it's appropriate. It's not often that we have anything to say about literal lights. It happens once a year, and people get an excuse to stay out in the city late in the winter. I haven't been to many Vivid Sydney's. It's only been a few years since my parents started being okay with me heading out into the world without their supervision.

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed by this year's exhibition. There were certain installations that were interesting, but others just didn't leave much of an impression. I guess that's the risk that these public art installations/exhibitions run. Artists have to take in a number of factors, including how their artworks are going to hold up in the weather, and especially if people - of all ages - would be interested. I think it's both a good and a bad thing. On the one hand, it seems to be a shame that artists might need to downscale or simplify their ideas to make them public-friendly. On the other hand, I'm all for making art more accessible. I do agree that living in a digital age definitely enables some forms of art, or some mediums of sharing art, but it might also cut people off from other forms. Sculptures (technically what all these Vivid installations are) can't be fully experienced online, through images or video. Sometimes you have to physically place yourself in front of something to appreciate it. I'm glad Vivid encourages that. Even if Instagram-bait installations are going to be part of the package.


To be honest, I am a bit disappointed that I didn't have a tripod (I still don't have a tripod), so I couldn't try my hand at any more long exposures. It is something I should practice more, even if it doesn't give me the most thrill in the world. I made do with what I had though, and I am grateful for the flexibility of a 24-70mm. On a photography level - I'm honestly itching to do something new. Or even just the old - to shoot some portraits, but maybe something different. I just need to be doing something creative again.

Funny how all this creative urge comes at a time where I have more deadlines than ever.
See you after exams! M x
Powered by Blogger.