Sunday, 26 July 2015

Away From Here (Blue Mountains)



With one week of semester break left, Leo and I headed out in my trusty fat cat Peugeot. Looking back now, I can say that this trip exceeded expectations, and was the refresher both of us needed. Increasingly, I feel that I'm falling into a process of trying to fill up the daily grind - with university, with societies, with friends, with work - and even when I'm not trying, errands, obligations, pile up too. I also go square-eyed - mostly the Instagram variety. Hours spent in a car meant that I could turn off my phone, turn up music that I (we) liked, and when I was in the passenger seat, read Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimmage (which is an exceptional book by Murakami). I forgot that I was missing Porter Robinson, as well as my Masterchef anxieties (specifically Reynold), but most importantly, I was able to really, properly spend time with the person I'm in love with.

   


Being away from home also helped in the sense that it created a new, fresh space for me to reflect. I don't believe in life-changing transformations. Everything is a gradual process, like water lapping at limestone. It's experiences that we accumulate every day that add up, and eventually, without really noticing or realising, you might wake up one day and see that you've changed. Not overnight, but over months, years, even. It's easy to question - what has a week making fairy bread and standing atop (gorgeous) lookouts done for me?

Oh, you can't even begin to fathom what a dream this week has been.





But as is the case with all dreams, this one ends too. I know that we have a habit of trying to recount - we want to share - that on this day I did this, and at this time I did that. But beyond brief periods of eager snapchatting, I think it would be unjust to have tried to do this trip justice. Firstly, because it was personal. The time we spent together is incredibly close to me. And second, because trying to tell you in words about the caves, or the sweeping, Dorothea Mackeller Australian landscape is selling short my sunburnt country.

   




I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.


Welcome back. May the spring semester treat you well.
Love, M. x
Powered by Blogger.